Thursday, September 5, 2024

Thursday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time

(I Corinthians 8:1b-7.11-13; Luke 6: 27-38)

We may want to pass over Jesus’ commands under the rubric, “Love your enemies”, or to dismiss them as exaggerations.  When someone takes my coat, I want the person to return it.  I am not likely to offer him or her my shirt as well.  Also, when someone my borrows money, I expect it back.  I am not inclined to loam him or her more until the first debt is repaid.  Am I violating Jesus’ commands? 

Perhaps not.  The key to the passage is the so-called “Golden Rule.” Followers of Christ are to do to others as they would have them do to themselves.  Nurtured in Christ’s love, we hope to receive and should be ready to bestow kindnesses.  It may be kindness to give my coat to a poor man, but if a bully demands it, kindness would be limited to telling the person, “No,” gently but firmly.  If an alcoholic keeps asking me money for drinks, telling the person gently not to drink would be the kind thing to do. Supporting the habit would be cooperating in vice.

Jesus’ command to love one’s enemies is one of his most distinctive teachings and cannot be dismissed.  However, it does not mean that we are to be abusive, either of ourselves or of others.  Love obliges us to help those in need.  The help we render, however, should be in proportion to others’ needs and to our ability to give.

No comments: