Friday, October 2, 2026

 

Memorial of the Holy Guardian Angels

(Job 28:12-21.40:3-5; Matthew 18:1-5.10)

St. Augustine famously said to his people: "I am fearful of what I am for you, but I draw strength from what I am with you. For you I am a bishop, and with you I am a Christian. The former designates an office received, the latter the foundation of salvation." Obviously, Augustine did not take his office of a bishop as merely a privilege.  Rather, he also saw it as an onerous responsibility placed upon him.  It meant correcting people when they were thinking erroneously and providing basic resources when they experienced material need.  It would not be unfair to call Augustine’s duties like being a Guardian Angel to his congregation.

Guardian Angels specify God’s love.  He takes care of humans by setting their hearts on the supreme good, which is Himself.  He also provides them with physical sustenance.  In the gospel Jesus speaks of children having angels in heaven charged with these tasks. But that does not exclude the possibility of God extending such personal care to everyone.  After all, all humans are God’s children.

Today we give thanks to God for His constant and unsurpassable love personalized in the Guardian Angels.  The graciousness of God’s watching over us with angels should prompt us to take similar care of one another.

No comments: